Serious injury & disability

Income assistance

If you can’t work because of an injury, we may be able to give you income assistance.

The kind of help will depend on your case, and may include:

Weekly compensation

If you were employed before your injury, you can get up to 80% of your pre-injury income if you can’t work because of the injury. We call this ‘weekly compensation’.

Applying for weekly compensation

You’ll need to supply us with a medical certificate indicating you are not able to work. We will then gather information about your pre-injury earnings so we can work out how much we can pay you.

Getting ongoing weekly compensation

To prove you can’t work, we’ll need regular medical certificates from your doctor.

Returning to work

Your Support or Service Coordinator will arrange assessments to help work out what support you’ll need to return to work.

Loss of potential earnings

You may be able to claim for loss of potential earnings if either you:

  • were under 18 at the time of your injury, and are unable to work when you turn 18, or
  • have been in continual full-time study since turning 18.

The weekly payments are equal to 80% of the adult minimum wage. Read more on the legislation we must follow on the loss of potential earnings on the New Zealand Legislation website (external link).

Lump sum compensation

If your injury happened on or after 1 April 2002 lump sum compensation may be available. The amounts available are specified in ACC’s legislation, and are adjusted annually.

The ACC legislation on lump sum compensation is available on the New Zealand Legislation website (external link).