Serious injury & disability

Common questions

This page contains answers to some of the common questions that we get asked by our clients who have disabilities as a result of injuries.

Does ACC cover health-related disabilities?

Our support covers people who have been injured as a result of accidents. Get the answer.

What does ACC pay for?

Our support may include paying for, or contributing to the costs of, initial hospital treatment and specialist rehabilitation through to the support and services needed to manage everyday tasks at home. Get the answer.

How can I get what I need from ACC?

Assessments are the key to getting support and services that meet your individual needs and circumstances. Get the answer.

When can I go home?

Rehabilitation after a major accident can be a long and difficult journey. Everyone’s different, so it’s hard to estimate how long it might be before you can go home. Get the answer.

When can I go back to work?

Our support may include helping you to return to work or get a job for the first time. Get the answer.

What if I disagree with ACC's decision?

We make every effort to get our funding decisions right the first time. Find out more about what to do if you are not happy with a decision that we have made about your services or support.  Get the answer.

What help is there for partners, parents, and carers?

If you’re the partner, parent or are a carer of someone with an injury-related disability, find out about the resources and support groups that are available for you. Get the answer.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

If you can’t find the information you’re looking for, try typing your question into the search box at the top of this page. If you still can’t find what you want, send an email. Send an email to the National Serious Injury Service